The Inn comprises a collection of old and classified buildings from last two centuries, consisting of the original Georgian style shop-come-bakery, stables, and two Victorian terraces.
The old shop building, fronting the corner of York and Margaret Streets, was originally the "Cataract Bakery" built by Frederick Crosby in 1870. Crosby was a private in the British Army who was sentenced to life transportation for desertion. He was lodged at the Prisoners' Barracks in Launceston on April 1st 1838.
After spending 14 months on the Campbell Town Chain Gang, he was finally granted his ticket of leave in April 1846. He returned to Launceston and married Mary Ann Risely (herself the daughter of the convict Henry Randall Risely). Frederick was 48 years old and Mary was just 15.
Frederick and Mary had 10 children and after his father's death in December 1886, his son Charles carried on the Bakery with his mother. In 1897 they were chosen to cater for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Celebration at Launceston's Albert Hall and thus renamed themselves the "Jubilee Bakery".